Fashion Space Gallery
Call for Applications
Fashion Space Gallery is pleased to announce its third annual residency for 2017.
The residency was created to support designers working within fashion or associated fields, in particular those whose practice is experimental and hard to define. In an industry that is characterised by fast turnarounds and relentless seasons, this initiative seeks to support a moment for the chosen designer to research and develop an aspect of their practice and to enable the outcomes to be shown as part of the exhibitions and events programme here at the Fashion Space Gallery.
The residency seeks to encourage collaboration, and, where possible, partnerships with practitioners from other disciplines (e.g. science or graphics) can be facilitated to support the resident’s research.
With the changing landscape of design practice and an increasing interest in collaborative and multidisciplinary projects, it is an exciting time to support practitioners who seek to push their own practice, and forward-thinking collaborations between fashion designers, product, graphic and game designers, artists, architects, engineers and scientists through the residency programme.
London-based designers with an existing practice and a background in disciplines such as fashion, textiles, footwear and jewellery, with a strong interest in cross-disciplinary and experimental practice, are invited to apply. The selected resident will work collaboratively – assembling their own team or working with a team that Fashion Space Gallery helps to organise – bringing together the expertise of designers, technologists and scientists to produce visionary and impactful new work.
Fashion Space Gallery will select one project, helping to produce, present and promote the work over a twelve-month development process.
The selected Design Resident (and his/her collaborator/s) will be awarded a £10,000 project development budget and resources to develop their work, including access to design and fabrication studios at the London College of Fashion. The Resident will also be expected to document their progress, take part in some of Fashion Space Gallery’s and London College of Fashion’s activities, and on occasion present work-in-progress to relevant parties.
- Applications are only accepted via e-mail.
- Applications received after the deadline of Monday, 7 November 2016, 10:00am, will not be accepted.
- All applicants will be informed of their application status after the 14 November 2016.
- Interviews will take place on Tuesday, 6 December 2016.
- Complete applications must include the following information:
- Contact information (including any collaborators)
- Short biography or CV (.pdf, .doc)
- Work sample in the form of a PDF (please make sure files are not bigger than 3MB). Include a project description with your work sample that explains your contribution to the piece, how it is meant to be viewed and how it relates to your proposed project.
- A short project proposal of what you intend to undertake during the course of the residency.
Applicants must be located in London for the duration of the Residency. You don’t need to be from London or the UK to apply, but would have to demonstrate the ability to relocate. There is no additional funding for housing, so please take into consideration any costs that this might entail.
Fashion Space Gallery: email@example.com