Benchpeg's Bookshelf Book List
We all enjoy a good read. Our bookshelf has been hand-picked.
Design for Jewellery Makers: Inspiration, development and creation
A clear, comprehensive and practical 'how-to' guide and resource for all aspects of designing jewellery.
This book contains expert guidance on design and the design process, and includes step-by-step project briefs and themes for readers to use as a basis for developing their own ideas. It is suitable for all intermediate and professional jewellery makers, as well as those attending jewellery-making courses and who have taken up jewellery making as a hobby.
The book explores the design process in depth, from fundamentals of jewellery design such as practical considerations to high-level conceptual briefs. Included within its pages are:
- Inspirational contributions from 12 contemporary jewellery designers. A chapter of the book shows how 6 of them apply the concepts in the book to their own practice
- 16 design techniques: a mix of drawing and model-making techniques including how to draw facetted gemstones, sketching, producing a technical drawing, paper models, mould-making and casting
- 5 technique-led projects: examples of how you can use basic jeweller’s skills together with the design techniques to create a specific type of jewellery. These include cutting out to make a band ring, press-forming for a brooch, and using repeated patterns for a necklace
- 8 process-led design projects show different creative approaches to the same challenge. For example 6 different ways of connecting links without soldering, or 12 different ways of setting a stone
- The book finishes with 10 open projects – briefs and finished inspirational examples for the reader to try out and learn from.
Pearls are one of the oldest precious gemstones. They have been revered through history and the best reserved to adorn royalty and their favourites.
Now, with the arrival of freshwater pearls, they are available to suit every pocket and every style, from the classic to the most creative. Includes a guide to the types of pearl and to the farming process. Gives advice on buying pearls; what to look for and what to avoid. Gives instruction on working with pearls, including drilling, setting and knotting. Finally, there is information on South Sea, Tahitian, Akoya, freshwater and natural pearls. This practical book celebrates their exquisite beauty and enduring elegance.
Wendy Graham is the founder and owner of Pearlescence, an online pearl supplier. Buying and selling from across the world, Wendy has visited pearl farms in Indonesia and Vietnam, and regularly travels to Hong Kong and Bangkok.